Grinling Gibbons Study Afternoon
Join leading experts for an introduction to Grinling Gibbons and discover how he worked with Sir Christopher Wren on the design of the St Paul’s Cathedral Quire, and how his masterpiece has been used, altered and maintained over 300 years since its installation. The study afternoon will conclude with a visit to Gibbons’ carvings in the Cathedral Chapels and Quire.
- 1.30pm: Welcome from St Paul’s Cathedral and the Grinling Gibbons Society
- 1.40pm: Grinling Gibbons and the Golden Age of Wood Carving with Dr Ada De Wit
- 2.20pm: Wren, Gibbons, Hawksmoor and the Design of the Quire of St Paul’s, 1693-94 with Dr Gordon Higgott
- 3pm: Living with Gibbons with Jonathan Hellyer, Object Conservator at St Paul’s Cathedral; exploring the past use and future treatment of the Gibbons woodwork in the Cathedral.
- 3.45pm: Visit to the Quire and the Chapel of St Michael and St George to see Gibbons’ woodwork
This event is hosted by St Paul’s Cathedral.
Learn more and reserve your place at St Paul’s Cathedral’s website